lunes, diciembre 19, 2005

Best Crema Catalana in Barcelona, I reckon.



Viola, here's presenting one of the most mouth-watering desserts in Barcelona, Spain. Many places make it here in the city since it's named after the Catalonian region (Catalunya), but none will beat the one pictured here served at Granja M. Viader. To enjoy your treat, you first have to stare gratefully at it for a few moments. While doing that, appreciate the texture of the crispy caramel coating. Next, gently tap your teaspoon on the caramalized surface. Pick up a spoonful gently from the edges and let it slide gently onto your tongue. Now feel the creamy goodness of the custard tinted with hints of the burnt sugar. Well, if you live in Barcelona, you don't have to drool. Just go get yourself a treat!

Note: Some say this is the catalan version of the french "crème brûlée" and the english "burnt cream". I say let the Catalans claim what they want!

Here's an easy recipe. Try it and let me know how it turns out.
Crema Catalana
Ingredients:
6 egg yolks
200g or 3/4 cup sugar
3/4 litre milk or 2 cups milk
1 cinnamon stick
2 long strips of lemon peel removed with a vegetable peeler
3 tablespoon corn flour or all-purpose flour

1. Beat yolks until light then whisk in 150g or 1/2 cup of sugar
2. Bring to boil milk in a saucepan together with cinnamon and lemon peel and then remove from heat and strain.
3. Whisk milk with egg mixture
4. Dissolve cornflour or flour with a little milk and whisk into the mixture
5. Place the mixture over low heat and cook, stirring constantly until it begins to boil
6. Spoon custard into a pudding bowl or among 6 individual gratin dishes or ramekins and allow to cool before placing in the fridge.
7. Before serving sprinkle 2 teaspoons of remaining sugar on top and caramelize by placing under a hot grill briefly until the sugar melts and turns brown

Etiquetas: ,

7 Hand-picked Olive[s]:

Blogger Kalyn Denny picked an olive...

The custard looks heavenly!

To answer your question, yes Weekend Herb Blogging is open to any food blogger. Just photograph and write about any herb, plant, veggie, or flower sometime over the weekend (some people start as early as Thursday!) and send me the permalink (kalynskitchen *at* comcast *dot* net) by midafternoon on Sunday, Utah time. Then I will include you in the recap which is normally published Sunday night. For the next two weekends, because of Christmas and New Year's I'm publishing the recap on Monday so that gives a little more time. Love to have you join. We've never had anyone from Spain.

3:59 a. m., diciembre 20, 2005

 
Anonymous Anónimo picked an olive...

MAMA MIA
Make all your findings & research into a booklet then I can make you my personal chef hee hee!!!

4:42 p. m., diciembre 21, 2005

 
Blogger Annette Tan picked an olive...

o my! that looks scrum! I once had something similar in Madrid, but i think it was more of a cheese-based custard whose name i simply cannot remember!

1:35 a. m., diciembre 22, 2005

 
Anonymous Anónimo picked an olive...

hey!
Just came in from Loquo page. I love food as well, but I don't eat sweets unfortunately. I try to cook every now and then for my friends, ocasional lovers and so.
I will try to keep reading your recipes.
I study photography and I'm interested in food photography so if you need hand on the just email me.
Buena entrada del invierno
Pablo: Tronak1978@hotmail.com

2:12 a. m., diciembre 22, 2005

 
Blogger *kel picked an olive...

Ray: you know it´s a dream for me to publish a book. Maybe about food :)

Hi eggy, no idea about the thing you ate an Madrid, but at this place in Barecona, they serve a Flan de Mato. Research on this mato cheese if you can...

Hola Pablo, I´m glad you found my site! As you can see I´m an amateur photographer in the making. Gracias por haberme dejado un mensaje!

2:39 a. m., diciembre 22, 2005

 
Blogger Annette Tan picked an olive...

Thanks for the compliments Kel! My partner reminded me last night that the dessert/cheese was called Guarjarda (or something like it). Check in again soon!

10:47 p. m., diciembre 22, 2005

 
Blogger Cate picked an olive...

Look gorgeous - serious mouth watering...

10:16 a. m., marzo 16, 2006

 

Publicar un comentario

<< Home