miércoles, febrero 08, 2006

Fresh Endives with Homemade Hummus

[Endives with Chickpea Dip]

A few nights ago, I was wondering what I would do with some fresh endives on hand. I decided to make a hummus dip to go with as an appetizer. The result is wonderful. Not too heavy without the usual pita bread, the chickpea paste pairs beautifully in the mouth with the light and crunchy texture of the raw endive leaves and neutralizes the raw vegetable's slightly bitter taste. I added some curry powder and cumin seeds which added a nice punch.

This dish is also completely healthy -- low-carb, low-cholesterol, fiber-rich and high in vitamins B6, A and C. What's more, it will wow your guests as it makes a really nice presentation for the dining table. Here's sharing with you the improvised recipe if you're up for it.

Note on endives: It is known as chivory greens in the States, which I had no idea before researching for this entry. (I don't remember coming across this vege in the States.) This is an important salad green in western Europe. They are everywhere in the green grocers here in Barcelona. You won't miss it.

Homemade Hummus
1 jar of cooked chickpeas a.k.a. garbanzo beans
1/4 cup of tahini (sesame paste)
1 teaspoon curry powder
2 cloves garlic
juice of one lemon
some water
salt and pepper

Garnish:
some cumin seeds
a dash of curry powder
a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil

Drain chickpeas and place in blender. Add all ingredients and blend until you get a nice consistency. Add more water as you go and according to your preference of how thick you like the paste to be. Garnish with cumin seeds, curry powder and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil before serving.

Serve it cold with endives and carrot sticks if you like, or wedges of pita bread. Store the rest in an airtight jar in the fridge for up to 3 days.

Etiquetas: ,

5 Hand-picked Olive[s]:

Blogger rokh picked an olive...

i like to eat hummus with celery sticks. you can try it.

10:33 a. m., febrero 08, 2006

 
Blogger Kandarp picked an olive...

Hey Kel!

You are growing as a write. I really like veg recipees and always think that i will try! I will surely do it once. take care

9:41 p. m., febrero 08, 2006

 
Anonymous Anónimo picked an olive...

This is great! I never thought to eat hummus with endives. I'll try it!

Best,
Paz

11:18 p. m., febrero 09, 2006

 
Blogger CutieChristie picked an olive...

Kel, thanks for the comment you left on my blog, the massage tip works like a charm! No cleaning problems in my house anymore. P.S. your hummus dish looks delish! Christie

5:22 a. m., febrero 10, 2006

 
Blogger *kel picked an olive...

Hi everyone, thanks for your suggestions and comments. I'm glad you find my hummus recipe and serving ideas attractive!

Rokh, I love having celery sticks with peanut butter. Have you tried it?

5:13 a. m., febrero 14, 2006

 

Publicar un comentario

<< Home