miércoles, noviembre 16, 2005

Saturday morning at Granja M. Viader

Lately I´ve been in the bouts of trying out different eateries. I guess the thought of leaving Barcelona in maybe as early as eight months has something to do with it. I´ve been catching myself chasing after the many things I´ve wanted to do here but have not gotten the time to do. Over the weekend, I had an amazing mid-morning breakfast bonanza at Granja Viader on C/Xuclá 4, situated on a tiny lane just a stonethrow´s from Le Meridian on La Rambla and Pintor Fortuny. A visit to this traditional dairy bar (granja) is like a trip down memory lane with the marble tables and memorablia displayed on the wall. The place has been there forever, and it still looks the same, I believe, since the 40s. I called for the Chocalate Suiza, a hot chocolate made to the pefect consistancy (not too thick, like the typical ones they serve in Spain) topped with an enormously generous scoop of homemade cream or nata. The cream is amazing. Just a tint sweet, completely casera, a far cry from the squeeze-out commercial versions. The best thing to go with the chocolate are little sweet cake fingers called melindres shown here in the picture. My companion Lionel and I also ordered a Flan de Mato which we shared happily. The mato cheese is a specialty of Barcelona, resembling ricotta in taste and texture. Apparently this is the only place in Barcelona that makes it and is certified by the Catalan government. This is also supposed to be the oldest granja in the city. Before you leave, you could even take back some specialty cheeses with you as they have a wide variety plus other desserts displayed near the entrance for sale. Apart from that, you can also bring back the mato, fresh nata, and honey if you fancy to make your own traditional Catalan desserts at home.

In the Know:
Granja M. Viader
C/Xuclá 4 Metro: Catalunya (Líneas 1 y 3)
Opening Hours: Mon-Thrs 9 to 13.45 and 17 a 20.45. Fri and Sat 9 to 14 and 17 to 20.45 (Closed on Monday mornings, Sundays, and Festivos)

Etiquetas:

6 Hand-picked Olive[s]:

Anonymous Anónimo picked an olive...

kelly.after reading your chocolate susie makes my mouth grasping for that cocoa taste...the well taken photo proves tempting to me.
your article is getting more interesting with every posting...

proud of u my daughter.....

11:21 p. m., noviembre 21, 2005

 
Anonymous Anónimo picked an olive...

I fully agree with your mum, that cuppa looks irresistable. How nice if i could be there, forget about weight management!

11:29 a. m., noviembre 22, 2005

 
Anonymous Anónimo picked an olive...

HuiYing said
this blog is just heavenly delicious!
Keep it up..
Take care
and
All the Best!
Bon chance with ur studies and lifE!

9:43 a. m., noviembre 24, 2005

 
Anonymous Anónimo picked an olive...

So, you can't get this at Starbucks? I'm shocked!

-Dave in Dallas

10:29 p. m., diciembre 28, 2005

 
Blogger *kel picked an olive...

Dave, thanks for stopping by! Hi hi, no, but I swear at last 10 new starbucks popped up right in the city center of Barcelona in the last 12 months.

10:45 p. m., enero 09, 2006

 
Blogger *kel picked an olive...

Mum, Ray, and Hui Ying: Thanks for your compliments and words of encouragement! I´ll keep it up!!

10:47 p. m., enero 09, 2006

 

Publicar un comentario

<< Home