jueves, diciembre 15, 2005

Singapore Chilli Crab


A friend of mine Josephine was leaving Barcelona for good and gave me a few items from her pantry that she thought I could use. One of them was a boxed-kit to make the scrumptious Singapore Chilli Crab. I kept it in my pantry for close to a year because for one, none of my friends here would appreciate such a spicy treat, and second, I keep adjourdning the day I would go crab-shopping. One fine day I fished out the box and found that the expiry date is round the corner and right after class I walked up to the Boqueria market got myself some crabs for 7 euro worth of crab... about half a kilogram. The result is this front-page worthy dish, whipped up in 3 quarters of an hour. The folks over at Prima Deli did us southeast-asian transplants a good deed indeed. With the spices pre-packaged, all you need really are guts to handle the live crabs, patience to hover over the stove, and a raw egg to finish the spicy yummy sauce. I got to know this company because they make my favourite Singapore (or Johor) Laksa in ready-to-cooked form. (This is my top most favorite dish from home, speil later.) They´ve a new website, and I´ve been toying with the idea of getting some stuff shipped to me when my supplies run out.

*I garnished it with some fresh organic basil leaves. Doesn't it look good? And yes, I chowed it down all by myself ;)

12 Hand-picked Olive[s]:

Blogger boo_licious picked an olive...

Wow! Those chilli crabs look wickedly yummy.

10:28 a. m., diciembre 17, 2005

 
Blogger Isabel R picked an olive...

mmmm... so delicious!!!

I love sea food! and that crab looks yummy. At this rate, I will end up naming you the official cheff for my family and social events!! (I'll work hard to pay your travel expenses... jeje!!)

Hey, when are you going to try some Latin Food? Try researching it. Argentina... steaks, Caribbean food is great too. AREPAS!!! there is arepas all over Central and South American countries and my be you can do a cross-over of Asian-Latin food, Euro-asian, Euro-Latin.. You are very creative... go ahead....
Very Proud of you My Friend!!
Mua!!
Tu amiga Isabela

4:16 a. m., diciembre 18, 2005

 
Blogger Kalyn Denny picked an olive...

Hey, thanks for visiting Weekend Herb Blogging. It sounds like the bay leaves you came across were more like the Turkish kind. Very interesting.

8:45 a. m., diciembre 18, 2005

 
Blogger Kalyn Denny picked an olive...

Kel, I think you are right that it is most commonly used dried, but the internet research I did said it is used both ways. This was the first time I had used the fresh bay leaf, but it did give a good flavor to the soup I used it in.

9:59 a. m., diciembre 18, 2005

 
Blogger Rose picked an olive...

That crab looks sooooooo good. In my cooking I've never ventured more than fish in the "seafood sea". I'm so intimated by the live creatures.

I'm quite envious of your living situation--spending the days learning and eating :-) That's my fantasy in a nutshell!

11:07 p. m., diciembre 18, 2005

 
Anonymous Anónimo picked an olive...

Wow Kelly you can cook chilli crab! Imagine a hostel full of S.E. Asian students right beside your block, talk about stampede when they smell your chilli crab!!!

12:26 p. m., diciembre 19, 2005

 
Anonymous Anónimo picked an olive...

ummm...those crabs look divine! i had a dozen maryland blue crabs the other day, it was scrumptuous! The theing with shellfish is the peeling, cracking and separating the shells from the meat, but it's well worth it, and after much practice it's such a treat to eat... and sweeter if you really dig in. I saved the pincer meat for making soup which didn't turn out too bad... the seasoning did the trick. Well.. i believe it's time for dinner :)

8:57 p. m., diciembre 20, 2005

 
Blogger *kel picked an olive...

boo_licious: hey, thanks for reading "Singapore Chilli Crab"

isa: i've never really ventured into latin-american cooking really.. besides a black bean chilli i did a few months ago. Neat idea!! and yes, i'd talke up your offer as personal chef anytime when you become Columbia's Minister of Finance and Economics ;)

rose: hi rose, the live things are a bit scary to handle but the shrimps and squids are pretty easy to handle. I'll be posting some easy seafood pasta recipes I make in future so you can try out.

ray: I can't technically make this chilli crab but when you can't get what you want to eat you've to make it yourself :) viva living in singapore, you can just go to the hawker center!

9:05 p. m., diciembre 20, 2005

 
Anonymous Anónimo picked an olive...

All by yourself?
Babe, you've been holding out. I've been craving for some fresh seafood here in Winter Central.
[sigh]

6:39 a. m., diciembre 22, 2005

 
Blogger *kel picked an olive...

hi cookie, great "seeing" you! Can you believe it? I chowed that all down. Here's sending you hugs and kisses... stay warm!

7:39 a. m., diciembre 22, 2005

 
Anonymous Anónimo picked an olive...

I was just reading something on chilli crab for work when I found this post. I came to your blog from Greedy Goose's blog. Yes, I *work and read blogs* at the same time! I'll drop by often!

9:46 a. m., enero 18, 2006

 
Blogger *kel picked an olive...

hola mumu, thanks for reading my Chilli Crab entry. Glad that we "found" each other :) I visited your site and my, I love the color scheme! I'm adding you to my blogroll.

11:50 p. m., enero 18, 2006

 

Publicar un comentario

<< Home