sábado, febrero 25, 2006

Akined to Pumpkin

[Spicy Thai Pumpkin Soup]

If you've read my previous post about the wonders of pumpkin's orangy flesh, you know I'm completely infatuated with this big fat squash that conjures up tales of a certain golden pumpkin coach. I normally buy my pumpkins, freshly and generously sliced on the spot, from my favorite green-grocer in Barcelona, Bubub.

Entering the tiny store takes you into a rustic setting with big straw baskets on the floors filled to the brim with farm-fresh vegetables, and wooden shelves on the walls displaying organically grown greens from its own nearby farm outside Barcelona. It's a wonder that smack right in the middle of the most culturally colorful neighborhood and just one tiny block away from the sanitizedly white walls of the Museum of Modern Art (MACBA), you can find such a quaint little vegetable store. The two ladies that shared the two shifts are extremely friendly and helpful too. Once one of them patiently pointed out to me the difference between chiviria (parsnip) and nabo (turnip).

The other day I came across a curious receipe of a Thai pumpkin soup infused with southeast asian spices and ingredients like dried shrimp, lemongrass and coconut milk. I wondered what it would taste like, so I ran a search on google and observed the array of recipes. The end result came out rightfully Thai in taste, and deservingly worth a little mention on this food blog. If you can find a handful of dried shrimp from your local asian grocery store, you should be able to recreate the exotic taste of this spicy Thai dish (it is not too exotic for me though, in fact I find it homey.)

P.S. Bubub-Verdures i Hortalisses is situated at C/Joaquim Costa 29 in the Raval. Nearest metro is Universitat and Sant Antoni on L2.

Spicy Thai Pumpkin Soup

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 clove garlic, minced
4 shallots, finely chopped (can be substituted with one small onion)
4 cups fresh pumpkin, peeled and scliced into 1/4-inch thick squares.
1/4 cup dried shrimps -- soaked for 5 minutes in warm water, drained and finely chopped.
1 small fresh red chili pepper, seeded and thinly sliced.
1 stalk of lemon grass (optional) use only the bulb or the white part, finely sliced.
1 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut milk (canned or powdered)
1 cup vegetable stock
1 cup water (add less or more according to your preferred consistency.)
salt and pepper to taste

Elaboration:
Heat a nonstick saucepan over medium-high fire. When it is hot, add oil and butter and heat up for half a minute. Feel your hands above saucepan. When you feel heat arises from the oils, throw in shallots (or onions) and stir-fry until golden brown. Then add garlic, dried shrimps, lemongrass and chili pepper and stir-fry til its aromas are released (I add each item in this order one at a time at an interval of 30 seconds and stir-fry all for about 1 minute). Work delftly with a wooden spatula and be careful not to burn garlic.

Now add sliced pumpkin and stir-fry on medium-high fire for about 2 minutes until significantly softened. When you can break a piece of pumpkin easily with the spatula, stir in vege stock, coconut milk and water gradually and bring contents to a boil. Cover saucepan and turn fire down to the weakest possible simmer for 10 minutes.

Now if you have an immerge-style or hand-held blender, plunge the apparatus into the saucepan and blend the soup till you get a smooth or slightly chunky consistency, according to your likes. If not, pour contents into your counter-stand blender in batches and work the machine. Salt and pepper soup till you get the right taste.

To serve, ladle into bowls and squeeze in some lemon juice. If you've cilantro, basil leaves, or even fresh mint, you can do some pretty garnishing. I simply did mine with a dash of freshly ground black pepper and some chilli powder.



This is an entry for Kalyn's Weekend Herb Blogging.

Etiquetas: ,

7 Hand-picked Olive[s]:

Blogger Kalyn Denny picked an olive...

I think this recipe sounds fantastic. It sounds much more interesting than some of the types of pumpkin soup I've seen.

12:23 a. m., febrero 26, 2006

 
Blogger Isil Simsek picked an olive...

This looks really interesting!I'd love to try it by veganizing the recipe ;)

4:34 p. m., febrero 27, 2006

 
Blogger *kel picked an olive...

Hi Kalyn, if you try the recipe, let me know how it turns out.

Hi Isil, wow, veganizing it makes the dish sound a lot more healing. Thanks for reading my Spicy Thai Pumpkin Soup post.

2:58 p. m., marzo 01, 2006

 
Anonymous Anónimo picked an olive...

Love the list of ingredients you use! You say lemongrass and pumpkin and I say Yes, oui oui merci mon dieu!

10:29 a. m., marzo 02, 2006

 
Anonymous Anónimo picked an olive...

Pumkin...mmm I see. It´s strange cause it sounds so unspanish to cook nor eat pumpkins around here. I was thinking if I knew any recipe or If I had tried one... and finally I came back to a nice vegetable stew my grnannie use to prepare in my childhood. It was like a meat stew: a greasy soup made of chickpeas, onion, garlic, carrots, potatoes and, of course pork, chiken and old spanish ham(kind of a spanish potage); but far more interesting. This soup I´m remembering in my region is called "Berza" ( I have no clue about the origin of the name) and it has more other vegetables including pumpkin, spinachs and celery. The funny part is at the time to eat it. YOu put meat on one side, vegs on another plate and you start with the soup and the only thing you add is the pumpkin and maybe some potatoe. You have to prepare your own puree mix the liquid and the vegs. Ok it doesn´t sound like fun now (more than 20 years later :() but it was when I was 8.
Byeee!
Tronak

10:38 p. m., marzo 02, 2006

 
Anonymous Anónimo picked an olive...

Hi Kel, this soup looks really tempting, I think I must try it... thank you for sharing!

9:33 a. m., marzo 19, 2006

 
Blogger *kel picked an olive...

Bea, yeah, you know i´m a huge pumpkin fan ;)

hola tronak, la sopa tuya me parece super intersante :) pero nunca la he oido. cuado sepas, me lo contaras. te mando un beso.

hi keiko, thanks for checking out my site. if you try the thai pumpkin soup, let me know how it turns out. un bisou, k

12:19 a. m., marzo 26, 2006

 

Publicar un comentario

<< Home