jueves, agosto 30, 2007

Garden-fresh runner beans

[Freshly picked purple runner beans]

Look at these beans, oozing with dizzying delectability! From the garden of T’s aunt in Sevenoaks right outside London. I was given a bagful to bring home to Amsterdam two weekends ago. Not sure about how long the beans will stay peak in my refrigerator, I “googled” and found these storing tips from a UK site advocating seasonal foods.

“Runner beans will keep in the fridge for 2-3 days but, as with all legumes, the beans' sugars start turning to starch after picking and they are best eaten as soon as possible.”

So to savor these freshly picked beans and optimizing the vitamin C and fibre it has to offer, I sautéed them in olive oil with garlic the very next day, and served them with some organic ravioli I picked up from the health store near Rijksmuseum on my way home from work. Real easy and simply healthy. Except the lustrous purple hues didn’t stay mauve when cooked. Yup, you guessed it, they all turned into the color what beans are normally known to be – green! The wonders of nature...

*This is an entry for Weekend Herb Blogging hosted by Kalyn's Kitchen.

Etiquetas:

5 Hand-picked Olive[s]:

Blogger Kalyn Denny picked an olive...

The beans are gorgeous! I've never seen beans that color before. Sounds like they would be delicious.

8:19 p. m., agosto 30, 2007

 
Anonymous Anónimo picked an olive...

Beautiful-looking beans!

Paz

9:32 a. m., agosto 31, 2007

 
Blogger *kel picked an olive...

Kalyn, it was my first time seeing beans this color too ;)

10:55 p. m., septiembre 03, 2007

 
Blogger Simona Carini picked an olive...

I love the photo. I know the change in color is a bit of a disappointment.

9:22 a. m., septiembre 05, 2007

 
Anonymous Anónimo picked an olive...

We've been getting these beans locally too, including a speckled purple variety. The colour change really surprised me too!

7:21 p. m., septiembre 08, 2007

 

Publicar un comentario

<< Home