martes, septiembre 11, 2007

Loading up on kitchenware in Amsterdam

[Duikelman's porcelain section]

There's one address in Amsterdam that avid bakers and passionate cooks show up for their tools and wares. I first learned about Duikelman because Talia was raving about this awesome zester/grater that gets the zest off lemon without that white pith. And she was sure that I would be able to find it at this store loaded with every kitchen gadget imaginable close to De Pijp's Albert Cuypstraat open-air market.

Sure enough, the store had the Microplane zester that I was looking for. Not only that, the person who helped me was very helpful -- gave me a whole run down of all the options I had, and he seemed extremely knowledgable of every item stocked.

With two adjoining stores and a prominent window displaying a colorful row of Kitchenaid cake mixers, the family-owned business has been around for 60 odd years. Across the street, they have another storefront for fine porcelains and a showroom for home and professional kitchens. I was so drawn to the minimalist display in the porcelain storefront, with an upstairs corner dedicated to a fine collection of cookbooks in both Dutch and English.

My sudden urge to stock up on bakeware has gotten me a 30cm Kaizer loafpan, a glass-bottomed springform pan, and a fluted tart tin. I am comtemplating going back for a paella pan sometime this week, and for your information, the search on the perfect egg cup is still on.

In the know:
Dzuikelman
Ferdinand Bolstraat 68-68A
1072 LM Amsterdam
020-671.22.30/ 671.75.69

Etiquetas:

0 Hand-picked Olive[s]:

Publicar un comentario

<< Home